2017 Road Construction in South Winnipeg-St. Norbert Ward
Prepare to experience a lot of construction on the south end of Pembina Highway this summer! Definitely some pain before the gain – BUT great news overall!
2017 Regional Road Construction (major rehabilitation work):
- Pembina Hwy SB – Killarney to Dalhousie (South Leg) (including buffered bike lanes): $1.2 M
- Pembina Hwy NB – Dalhousie (South Leg) to Killarney (including buffered bike Lanes): $1.2 M
- Pembina Hwy NB – De Vos to Dalhousie (including buffered bike lanes): $600,000
- Pembina Hwy SB – Dalhousie to De Vos (including buffered bike lanes): $600,000
2017 Regional Mill and Fill Preservation Works (asphalt removed and replaced):
- Pembina SB – Dalhousie (South Leg) to De Vos: $500,000
- Pembina SB – Cloutier to Ducharme: $800,000
2017 Local Street Projects (announced on February 24, 2017)
One local street will receive a complete rehabilitation:
- Silverstone Avenue, from Cornell Drive to King’s Drive
The streets below are scheduled for a Thin Bituminous Overlay (TBO), a surface restoration technique that increases asphalt thickness by less than 40 mm. This is a cost effective treatment that benefits the road from premature deterioration by improving/restoring asphalt surface.
- Sandpiper Drive, from Bairdmore Boulevard to Point West Drive
- Knotsberry Bay, from Burland Avenue to Poitras Place
- Alburg Drive, from Paddington Road to Longford Avenue
- St. Dunstans Bay, from Dalhousie Drive to Dalhousie Drive
In addition, there will be some maintenance work on Thatcher Drive, Killarney Avenue, Snow Street, St Mary’s Road and others that will be completed after reviewing road conditions post-spring thaw.
2017 Roadway Expansion of Kenaston Southbound (McGillivray to Bishop Grandin): $2.2 M
- I call this area the ‘funky flyover’ that takes you either into the Neighbourhoods of Bridgewater or further along Bishop Grandin to Waverley. While the expansion is not actually in the South Winnipeg St Norbert Ward, it directly impacts travel into Bridgwater and South Winnipeg.
- This project includes the following components:
- Widen southbound Kenaston Boulevard by 3.7 meters to accommodate a new through lane commencing at the Petro-Canada southbound exit (150 meters south of the McGillivray intersection) and tying into the current north limit of the 3-lane section south of Scurfield Boulevard.
- Geometric improvements to the right turn cut-offs at Scurfield and introduction of new southbound deceleration and acceleration lanes.
- Relocate traffic signal poles along west side of Kleyson Drive intersection. Relocate street light poles and utilities where necessary.
- The project will provide an improved lane configuration for southbound traffic on Kenaston based on accepted transportation engineering standards and practices. It will complete the originally intended design of the Waverley West Arterial Roads Project, and reduce safety risks in the reduction of weaving maneuvers along a short distance approaching the Kenaston Boulevard/Bishop Grandin Boulevard flyover.
Engineering/planned for 2018 Construction
- Pembina Hwy NB – Ducharme to Cloutier (including asphalt bike path): $500,000
Engineering in 2018, with construction in 2019 and 2020
- Waverley – Grandmont to the City Limit: 2018 ($500,000); 2019 ($1.5 M); 2020 ($1 M)