2018: Planning, Partnerships & Pulling the Pieces Together for the South Winnipeg Recreation Complex
Outstanding support from the South Winnipeg Community Centre, representatives of the South Winnipeg Action Team (SWAT), area residents and neighbourhood associations has successfully facilitated a change in the City’s proposed 2018 budget. Funding for a new recreation centre in the amount of approx $11M has been APPROVED in the City’s final 2018 budget and 6-year forecast. See details
GOING FORWARD – Planning and Partnerships
2018 will be a year of planning, partnership development and starting to pull all the pieces together.
- Funding is secured for preliminary design as well as a level of functional design for the recreation complex.
- Funding is secured for the purchase of land needed for the recreation complex, and negotiations are occurring.
- The City and South Winnipeg Community Center jointly developed a Project Charter to guide the development of a recreation campus.
Key to the project will be if the Province of Manitoba chooses to proceed with the funding/construction of a high school in SW Winnipeg, as this will impact the overall planning process for the recreation complex.
I fully expect we will see more action on the Recreation Complex in 2018 than we have seen over the last 10 years. I anticipate we will:
- Secure land
- Move forward on the neighbourhood plan which identifies roads/sewer/water/etc. This planning has already started with land owners, and public open houses will be announced shortly. See Developing Land in Waverley West Neighbourhood B
- Initiate a consultation process on preliminary design with stakeholders
- Work with YM-YWCA, Pembina Trails School Division and various partners to refine preliminary design
- Present concept plans to the public
- Move forward on more detailed design and phase development
- Finalize a Class 4 estimate
- Make a funding submission to Provincial and Federal governments for specific phases of the project
I will be providing a more refined overview of activities in the coming months. Watch this website for details!
Thank YOU for all your support.