Internship Program – Councillor Janice Lukes
Internship Program: Office of Janice Lukes, Councillor for South Winnipeg–St. Norbert Ward, City of Winnipeg
We are now accepting applications for our January–April, 2016 session
Application deadline is December 12, 2015
The South Winnipeg-St Norbert Councillor Internship Program is designed to immerse post secondary students in City government. In the spirit of diversity and progressivism that characterizes the South Winnipeg-St Norbert Ward, Councillor Lukes welcomes intern candidates of various backgrounds who wish to bring innovative ideas from the community to City Hall, and from City Hall to the community.
The successful candidate will not only be involved in the daily operations of the Councillor’s office, but will also be exposed to many community service opportunities as well. This internship provides a learning experience offering meaningful, practical work experience related to the student’s field of study or career interest. It will provide an opportunity for career exploration and development as well as a chance to develop new skills.
Councillor Lukes represents the largest and fastest growing ward in the City of Winnipeg. She serves as Acting Deputy Mayor; Chair of the Standing Policy Committee on Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works; Co-Chair of the Partnership of the Manitoba Capital Region; and is a member of the Standing Policy Committee on Finance.
The office of the South Winnipeg–St. Norbert Ward represents upwards of 65,000 constituents. We are seeking a professional, highly motivated, detail-oriented, punctual and respectful intern to assist on a part-time basis in the day-to-day activities of a busy ward office. Interns will have an opportunity to participate in multiple aspects of the Councillor’s work and must enjoy interacting with a wide variety of constituents. The office is based out of City Hall.
Specific duties vary greatly from day-to-day, but generally will include:
- Assisting in responding to enquiries from constituents, the media, and City departments;
- Creating, updating, and maintaining contact databases;
- Participating in the planning and oversight of special ward initiatives;
- Preparing, updating, reviewing, and responding to correspondence;
- Providing overall administrative support such as responding to telephone calls, photocopying, and filing;
- Carrying out research into local, regional, national and international issues as required, and ensuring the Councillor is made aware of any relevant matters;
- Updating the Councillor’s website;
- Other duties as assigned
The successful candidate will possess the following qualities and skills:
- Comprehensive knowledge of the South Winnipeg-St Norbert Ward;
- Interest in community engagement;
- Proven research, analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment;
- Proficiency in the English language, with strong written, communication, and presentation skills;
- Energetic, diplomatic, and detail oriented;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Bonus to have proficiency in languages other than English
- Bonus to have experience in iMovie, WordPress and Publisher; and
- Demonstrated teamwork and ability to work independently along with a high level of customer service skills
WORK SCHEDULE & COMPENSATION:
- Anticipated duration of the internship is approximately four months, ideally beginning sometime in January, 2016.
- The internship will be part-time, based on approximately 15-20 hours per week (negotiable based on class schedule and office needs).
- Interns are paid $500 stipend, upon satisfactory completion of the internship session.
A complete application from qualified candidates will include the following information:
- Cover letter, highlighting your educational experience and skills, along with an explanation of how this internship will contribute to your professional career goals
- Two letters of recommendation
To be considered for an internship, you must be:
- Currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution
- Legally entitled to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency, or holding a valid work permit authorizing you to commence employment prior to applying for the role
- A Criminal Record Check satisfactory to Councillor Lukes will be required from the successful candidate, at their expense.
Please send all application materials electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline of December 12, 2015. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We welcome applications from all qualified individuals, and will keep applications on file for future consideration.
Twitter link: http://janicelukes.ca/?p=3622