Register to Speak on Winnipeg’s 2016 Proposed Budget
Winnipeggers will have the opportunity to speak to members of City Council regarding the 2016 proposed budget and express their thoughts on three separate occasions during the month of March. NOTE: If you wish to speak, you must register in advance. For registration details and times allotted to speak, contact the City Clerks or 311.
1. Speak to the Standing Policy Committee responsible for the service
The City Clerks can assist you in determining the appropriate committee to which you should be speaking regarding your specific issue. As examples, below is a list of the City’s six Standing Policy Committees (SPC):
- Roads, bridges and transit – Speak to SPC on Infrastructure Renewal and Public Works (Chair – Councillor Lukes)
- Water, sewage and garbage – Speak to SPC on Water and Waste, Riverbank Management and the Environment (Chair – Councillor Mayes)
- Development and heritage – Speak to SPC on Property and Development, Heritage and Downtown Development (Chair – Councillor Orlikow)
- Finances – Speak to SPC on Finance (Chair – Councillor Morantz)
- Innovative ideas re how the City conducts business – Speak to SPC on Innovation (Chair – Councillor Browaty)
- Protection, parks and community services – Speak to SPC on Protection, Community Services and Parks (Chair – Councillor Pagtakhan)
2. Speak to the Executive Policy Committee (EPC)
The Mayor and the Chairs of the City’s six Standing Policy Committees serve on EPC. If you initially speak to the Standing Policy Committee as your first step, it is recommended you also speak to the Mayor and EPC.
3. Speak to Winnipeg City Council
Mayor Bowman and the City Councillors representing the City’s 15 wards will hear your presentation.
NOTE: For more information to assist in understanding the City’s financial status and the cost of City services to homeowners, please visit 2016 Budget Process update.
Members of City Council then take all information into consideration and vote on the proposed budget, as outlined in the schedule below:
Wednesday, March 2, 2016 – 1:30 p.m.
The 2016 Draft Operating and Capital Budget is tabled by Executive Policy Committee
Friday, March 4, 2016 – 9:30 a.m.
SPC on Water and Waste, Riverbank Management and the Environment
Monday, March 7, 2016 – 9:00 a.m.
SPC on Protection and Community Services and Parks
Tuesday, March 8, 2016 – 9:00 a.m.
SPC on Property and Development, Heritage and Downtown Development
Friday March 11, 2016 – 9:30 a.m.
Winnipeg Police Board Meeting
Monday, March 14, 2016 – 9:00 a.m.
SPC on Infrastructure Renewal & Public Works
Tuesday, March 15, 2016 – 9:00 a.m.
Special Executive Policy Committee to hear delegations on Budgets
Wednesday, March 16, 2016 – 9:00 a.m.
Executive Policy Committee to consider SPC recommendations and table final recommendations
Tuesday, March 22, 2016 – 9:30 a.m.
Special Meeting of Council to pass Budgets
Twitter link: http://janicelukes.ca/?p=4736