- This event has passed.
Town Hall: Closure of Hauled Waste Facility -AND- Gravel Road Maintenance
May 31, 2017 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
The City of Winnipeg is inviting residents to attend a town hall on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 which will feature two presentations and question periods:
- 7:00 p.m. Closure of the South End Sewage Treatment Plant Hauled Liquid Waste Facility presentation
- 7:45 p.m. Gravel road maintenance.
The City will no longer be accepting hauled wastewater at the South End Sewage Treatment Plant as early as June, 2017. Hauled wastewater is:
- raw sewage that is pumped out of septic tanks, holding tanks, and tanks/interceptors and hauled to a facility for disposal and treatment
- more concentrated than regular wastewater (2 to 340 times higher), and the higher the concentration, the more costly the treatment
- more taxing on the treatment processes than regular sewered wastewater.
After the closure, all hauled wastewater will need to be disposed of at the North End Sewage Treatment Plant. The sewage treatment plant is operated by the City under an Environment Act Licence issued by the Province of Manitoba. The Environment Act Licence requires upgrades to the South End Sewage Treatment Plant for a new biological process designed to reduce nutrients (nitrogen and phosphorus). Hauled wastewater will harm this new nutrient removal process and disrupt sewage treatment resulting in Environment Act Licence limit violations.
The maintenance of gravel roads in the south end of Winnipeg will also be discussed at this town hall.
For more information, please visit the City website:
- Hauled wastewater: winnipeg.ca/hauledwastewater
- Gravel road maintenance: http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/streets/streetSidewalkMaintenance/default.stm