Rue des Trappistes Construction
An exciting St. Norbert project is about to start! I’m pleased to share that prior to being elected as City Councillor in 2014, I worked to ensure sidewalk upgrades and a connection would be incorporated when the time came to renew the Rue des Trappistes culvert! The time has come! The highlights of this construction project include:
- Rue des Trappistes pavement will be reconstructed
- Rue des Trappistes culvert will be replaced
- The sidewalk along Rue des Trappistes will be upgraded AND a sidewalk will be constructed over the culvert connecting to the Rue du Monastere sidewalk
- The speed tables will be reapplied
NOTE: While the re-construction of Boul Villeneuve is NOT included in this project, it is being planned for the 2018 construction season, pending City of Winnipeg budget approval.
There will be some pain before the gain. Rue des Trappistes will be closed at the Westendorf Coulee for approximately five months between November 2017 and March 2018 for culvert replacement. Significant re-routing will have to occur.
I encourage you to attend the upcoming open house to learn more.
Please join me at a City of Winnipeg information session on the replacement of a culvert and road reconstruction on Rue des Trappistes:
Date: Wednesday, September 27, 2017
Time: 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Location: Fraternal Order of Eagles, 3459 Pembina Highway
NOTE: If you are unable to attend and would like to provide feedback, please see the online comment form which is available until October 4, 2017.
The culvert at Rue des Trappistes and Westendorf Coulee needs to be replaced as it is at the end of its service life, and is partially collapsed in several locations. In 2016, a sinkhole developed under Rue des Trappistes at the culvert which required immediate stabilizing with the addition of several cubic metres of fill and ongoing monitoring to ensure that conditions remain safe.
A preliminary design study was carried out to determine when construction should take place, what type of structure is best suited for site conditions, and to determine the class 3 cost estimate of approximately $2 million for culvert replacement and road reconstruction. The preliminary design revealed that conditions for culvert replacement are best and most economically feasible during the winter and the best structure for replacement was determined to be a pre-cast concrete pipe.
The project includes two phases:
1. Culvert replacement starting in November 2017
2. Road reconstruction from Pembina Highway to Rue du Monastere starting in spring 2018
The session on September 27 will provide information on the construction plan and schedule. Residents will have the opportunity to view the design concepts, ask questions and talk with project team members, and provide comments.
I will be in attendance, and look forward to chatting with residents. For additional information on this project:
- See Frequently Asked Questions: http://winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/construction/projects/RueDesTrappistes.stm#tab-faqs
- See Traffic Detour Map: http://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/construction/pdf/RueDesTrappistes/trafficDetour.pdf
- Visit winnipeg.ca/RuedesTrappistes