2017 City-Ward Priorities: Councillor Lukes
I’ve been very busy these past two years focusing on ward priorities I heard from residents during the 2014 election campaign. Since being elected, I’ve hosted many ‘community conversations’ with residents to keep in tune with priorities.
Throughout the year, a Councillor allocates time between both City-wide issues and ward issues. In 2017, I will be focusing on these challenges:
- Keeping bureaucratic efficiencies and taxes in line
- Improving road infrastructure and summer/winter maintenance
- Developing a City of Winnipeg Road Safety Strategy
- Reviewing and revising the Active Transportation Winter Maintenance Strategy
- Implementing a safe downtown cycling network
- Overseeing revenue allocation from impact fees
- Ensuring a civic governance and operational review occurs
South Winnipeg-St. Norbert Ward
- Development of the South Winnipeg Recreation Campus
- Combatting illegal rooming houses
- Transportation improvements to roads and active transportation infrastructure
- Park upgrades and park maintenance
- Resolving development issues in new communities – Bridgewater and South Pointe
I will continue to host and promote informative events on relevant community issues, all of which are posted on my website. In the next two months, there is a wide range of events on transportation, fire safety, affordable housing, transit and some darn good winter festivals and parties!
One initiative I’m focusing on (but hope I don’t have to deliver on) is flood protection! I’m being briefed on flood operations and protocol by City and Provincial staff. As a long-term resident of St. Norbert, and living near the mighty Red River, I understand that the wet fall and volumes of early snow are creating a level of anxiety with thoughts of the spring thaw!
If you have any ideas, questions or concerns, feel free to contact me at (204) 986-6824 or E-Mail email@example.com