Major MILESTONE: South Winnipeg Recreation Campus
In September Council prioritized four infrastructure projects to move forward on. Council will now seek funding support from the Province of Manitoba and the Government of Canada by applying to the federal ‘Investing in Canada Infrastructure Funding Program’:
- Two projects to upgrade to the North End Sewage Treatment Plant ($908,811 million)
- St James Civic Center Expansion ($14,006 million)
- And the South Winnipeg Recreation Campus ($71,009 million)
South Winnipeg Recreation Campus Overview
Developing a large recreation campus, connected to a high school on approximately 44 acres of land is a complicate and involved process – especially when the land is open farmland and completely un-serviced .
A tremendous amount of work has occurred to reach today’s milestone (see background & anticipated next steps below). Thank you to all who’ve been involved in this journey so far!
YOUR ASSISTANCE would be appreciated on the next step:
Contact Provincial MLA’s Jon Reyes for Waverley and Sarah Guillemard for Fort Richmond, and Federal MP Terry Duguid and ask them to support the City of Winnipeg’s funding request. Because we are on the cusp of a Federal election, also contact federal Conservative candidate, Melanie Maher for Winnipeg South.
This is a ridiculously short summary of 5+ years of work. If you have ANY questions, please contact me: email@example.com
Background & Anticipated Next Steps
- City report identified recreation deficit in South Winnipeg (before the first house in Waverley West was constructed)
- City commissions study to learn what model community is open to. Final report summarizes: ‘There is a strong interest and community commitment to pursue a new innovative model for the delivery of recreational services in South Winnipeg that includes the development of a showcase recreation campus
- Lukes elected
- Secured funding to purchase 19 acres of farm land for South Winnipeg Recreation Campus
- Secured priority line item & initial funding for South Winnipeg Recreation Campus in City of Winnipeg Capital Budget
- Secured funding & completed Area Structure Plan for open farmland in Waverley West B (planning process for roads/ drainage/sewer-water for new community)
- City & Province agree to a joined/shared use facility – incorporating soon to be built elementary school, high school & rec campus
- Secured funding to develop concept plan for campus – Class 5 estimate of $108 million
- City & developer determining first roads to be constructed
- Council prioritizes Phase One ($71 million) & will be requesting Province of Manitoba to apply to Federal Investing in Canada Infrastructure Funding Program. City requesting Federal funding support of $24,442 million & Provincial funding support of $20,367 million towards Phase One.
- Anticipate main sewer line to be installed and roads to be constructed
- Anticipate start of construction / school (Pembina Trails Update & Ward 3 School Trustees)
- Finalize plans for recreation campus, community open house
- Pending Provincial and Federal funding approval, anticipate start of construction / Phase One campus ($71 million)
- Phase One would see the development of a multi-use recreation centre with gymnasiums, multi-purpose rooms, a walking/running track, GoLibrary kiosk and adjacent park space with athletic fields and community spray pad.
- Future phases could include a regional aquatic facility addition that includes a lap tank and Winnipeg’s first public leisure pool, and a community library, subject to funding approvals.
- See report for further high level details
*NOTING there are many moving parts and many details still being worked on.