Prairie Pointe rezoning and update of commercial sites
- This week at Assiniboine Community Committee – the landowner (Ladco) brought forward an application to subdivide and rezone the southwest corner of land at the intersection of Waverley & Kenaston – from commercial zoning to residential zoning.
- This 28 acres of land, when rezoned will contain 152 residential lots, accommodating future apartment buildings, townhouses, duplexes, and houses. There is a national housing crisis & the committee supported this application to support the housing need
- A transportation study was conducted. As part of the rezoning – Ladco will be upgrading the west Waverley entrance lanes & also adding a pathway from the new Prairie Pointe park – the pathway will connect to the existing pathway north of the intersection.
- Also included in the transportation study was information noting residential zoning will result in lower volumes of traffic than would occur if the site remained commercial zoning.
- See Full report with recommendations under Public Hearings: https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/ViewPdf.asp…
UPDATE on remaining 3 commercial sites:
I met with Ladco land use division representatives this week for an update on when commercial development would occur & was told:
- two major (anchor) tenants are in the process of being secured via a contracts for 2 of the commercial sites
- Covid slowed down discussions as the future of retail was somewhat uncertain – but Ladco & potential tenants are continuing discussions & moving forward
- the Payworks site will have a mid size tenant & multiple small commercial businesses
I know I & many others can’t wait to see commercial businesses go in – but I think we all understand why there has been a delay – as there has been a global pause on retail operations due to covid shifting purchasing habits.
Ladco has assured me that commercial is coming – and it will be worth the wait. The city has no control or ability to move these discussions along – but I am confident Ladco is focused on having commercial move in as soon as possible.