Short Term Rental Regulations
There has been an increase in ‘short term rentals’ throughout the city of Winnipeg. A short-term rental often is the rental of a house or condominium. Companies or individuals facilitate short-term rental reservations online and receiving payment for this service. There are a variety of firms that facilitate these short term rentals:
- BNB Rental Group
- And others
My office has received an increase in calls related to houses and condo’s being rented out as ‘short term rentals’. Neighbours have concerns about:
- excessive trash
- parking issues
- noise disturbances
- potential decrease in home values and
- neighbourhood safety – to name just a few of the issues.
According to Mr. Scott Jocelyn, President and CEO of the Manitoba Hotel Association:
- Only 17% of total Airbnb revenues in Canada is generated by true home-sharing where the owner is present during the guest’s stay – i.e. in 2016-2017 when the survey occurred (and the percentage is higher today) entire home rental units comprised 83% of total revenues in Canada.
- Approximately 7 in every 10 unit on the Airbnb distribution platform are entire home rentals with guest having complete and sole access of the entire unit during their stay.
- One in every 3 units in Canada is rented out for more than 90 days per year.
If you are having issues with short term rentals located beside or near you – like noise, excessive garbage or other neighbourhood livability issues, please file a complaint to 311 or firstname.lastname@example.org and a by law officer will investigate.
I’m working with Councillor colleagues and the Public Service to initiate regulations on short term rentals. Cities around the world are regulating short term rentals and Winnipeg needs to look to these regulations and implement.
The Public Services has been directed to research and bring options to council to consider.
Two motions are directing the Public Service to research and bring regulatory options to Council to consider and ultimately implement. We expect an update in 120 days (October 2021)
I will be posting updates on my website as this unfolds.
Thank you to media who’ve covered this important issue: