University Crescent Road Reconstruction – Phase 2
University Crescent from Pembina to Chancellor Matheson Rd is undergoing a $9.9 M reconstruction that has now been extended to occur over three years:
- Phase 1 occurred in 2021 and was a complete reconstruction of both north and south bound University Crescent between Sifton Rd and Chancellor Matheson Rd.
- Phase 2 is occurring in 2022 the work will include a complete reconstruction of the northbound traffic lane, and extensive rehabilitation work of the southbound traffic lane between Pembina Highway and Thatcher Drive.
- Phase 3 will occur in 2023 (May-October) and will include work on both north and southbound lanes between Thatcher Drive and Sifton Rd. Exact details are being worked through in partnership with North Campus Lands redevelopment.
The 2022 Active Transportation construction will occur on the east side of University Crescent and will consist of:
- A 3.5 metre multiuse path will be constructed from Pembina Highway to the transit stop just north of Wedgwood Drive. The City does not own enough land to construct both a sidewalk and multi use active transportation path.
- At the transit stop just north of Wedgewood Drive, a 1.5 metre sidewalk will be added alongside the multiuse pathway to Thatcher Drive
- The continuation of both the sidewalk and multiuse pathway to Sifton Road will occur in the 2023 construction
- There will be some minor improvements to the existing sidewalk on the west side of University Crescent, but the re-development of active transportation on the west side will not occur until the former golf course lands are developed, or till the southbound land of University Crescent is scheduled for a reconstruction.
See a visual image of both the north and southbound traffic lanes, and the sidewalk and pathways.
Phase 3 Construction – Thatcher Drive to Sifton Road
- The former Southwood golf course (UM Lands) is going through the final design and planning stages. The section of University Crescent between Thatcher Drive to Sifton Road is now part of the UM Lands design process and the City will be constructing this section of University Cresc. in 2023. Design details are not yet complete, but will be posted when they become available.
Phase 2 (2022)
This year’s construction is broken into two stages. Stage 1 will involve the full reconstruction of the northbound pavement with new east side bicycle pathway and sidewalk (July to September 2022). Stage 2 will involve the asphalt resurfacing of the southbound pavement with curb and sidewalk renewals (September to October 2022). See letter sent to residents.
Phase 2 Construction start: July 18, 2022
Expected Phase 2 Completion: October 2022 (Due to weather conditions, the Southbound minor rehabilitation treatment will be deferred until next year except for some temporary pavement restorations that are required to keep the road safe for winter. The contractor is expected to demobilize from site for the season at the end of October. See letter sent to residents.)
Construction Limits: University Crescent from Pembina Hwy to Thatcher Dr
Traffic implications: See letter sent to residents.
This year’s construction is broken into two stages. Stage 1 will involve the full reconstruction of the northbound pavement with new east side bicycle pathway and sidewalk (July to September 2022). Stage 2 will involve the asphalt resurfacing of the southbound pavement with curb and sidewalk renewals (September to October 2022).
Should you have any questions concerning the project, or have accessibility needs, moving requirements, planned special events or known underground appurtenances (such as sprinkler systems, lighting cables, etc.) within 20 feet of the curb, please contact Ryan Cunningham at (204) 928-8377 or email@example.com.
ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS? If you have any questions in regards to the construction, please contact the Project Coordinators who will be overseeing this upgrade – or my office:
Senior Transportation Engineer
City of Winnipeg