King’s Park 2016 Review and Reinvestment Strategy
In 2015, I conducted a series of open houses in May, June and October to gather feedback on what the community would like to see in the way of upgrades to King’s Park. The City Parks department engaged a consultant to work through the feedback that was provided, and a final report has been prepared and is now available to review:
- King’s Park 2016 Existing Facility Review and Reinvestment Strategy: King’s Park ReportOnly
- Appendices to 2016 Report: KingsParkAppendices
- Appendix I – Cost Estimates for Projects
- Appendix II – Display Boards at Open House
- Appendix III – Comments/exit survey at Open House
Overall, I believe this report captures many of the suggestions made at the open houses. It will now be my job to work with levels of government to secure funding to move forward on the recommendations. Here is an update on what has occurred and will be occurring related to funding and prioritizations:
- $1.5 M in riverbank erosion protection
- Reforestation and pathway restoration related to riverbank erosion protection project
- $250,000 for a new well and pump for the fountain, a pathway upgrade in the low muddy area on the west side of the pathway, and 2-3 benches
- $15,000 for South Winnipeg Parkway trailhead sign at the entrance (south side by pathway)
- $600,000 projected in the budget which may include public washroom replacement, play structure installation, dog park fencing, shade structure and or improved signage. This funding is budgeted, but will require final approval in the 2017 budget process.
- I encourage you to review the Kings Park Existing Facility Review and Reinvestment Strategy. I be will hold a meeting in Fall to determine what the next projects should be.
- I am working closely with our new Provincial and Federal representatives to secure matching funding support for the upgrades.
For more information, please see the recent article in The Sou’wester: Upgrades to King’s Park and Kirkbridge Park
twitter link: https://janicelukes.ca/?p=5653