Proposed Closure of the Fort Garry Library
Regarding the proposed closure of the Fort Garry Library:
1. I highly recommend you email ALL members of the Mayor’s Budget Working Group as they are review all details of the budget and will be deciding if the Fort Garry Library remains open or is closed. They will bring their recommendation to the public and remaining members of Council late February.
2. In 2014, the Ft Garry Library re-opened following approximately $1Million in renovations.
3. I do not support closing the Fort Garry Library.
On October 18th, Mayor Brian Bowman and his Executive Policy Committee directed City departments to reach the following expenditure targets in their operating budgets:
2% annual increases (2020-2023)
· Winnipeg Police Service
· Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service
· Water and Waste
1.5% annual increases (2020-2023)
· Public Works
0.5% annual increases (2020-2023)
· Community Services
0% Increase (2020-2023)
· All other tax-supported city departments and special operating agencies were directed to hold their operating budgets steady over the 4 year budget period at the levels approved in the 2019 Operating Budget.
Departments came forward in November 2019 presenting ways to meet these expenditure targets. The Community Services Department is recommending the closure of the Fort Garry Library.
The Mayor has formed a Budget Working Group to review the department’s recommendations. The Budget Working Group decides what is included or eliminated in the budget – and then makes a recommendation to all of the Council.
· Please ensure you email ALL members of the Mayor’s Budget Working Group as they will be determining if the Ft Garry Library remains open, or is closed, and then they will bring their recommendation to the public and remaining members of the Council late February.