2018-2022 Councillor Term Summary – Bridgwater Forest
This is a very very brief summary of key issues I’ve been working on specific to the Bridgwater Forest neighbourhood, and initiatives that I look forward to working on. I am very thankful to have had the support of many many residents who’ve been also working to make our neighbourhoods safer, healthier and a great place to live and play! Thank you!
- Over the past four years, I’ve hosted multiple community events and produced videos on crime prevention, your role in crime prevention, what is happening in our neighbourhood and more.
- To review many updates on crime, please go to www.JaniceLukes.ca and use the search engine and enter the word CRIME
- The Waverley West ward is one of the safest areas of Winnipeg – but we still have crime. I will continue to host education events, and work with any groups of residents who want to develop a more detailed crime prevention plan for their neighbourhoods.
- A total of $18 million has been secured for a portable and permanent fire station in the Waverley West ward. Construction will start on the portable station on 2023.
- New roads, new drivers and the need for speed is an ongoing battle. I’ve had engineers conduct many traffic studies over the past four years, and we’ve implement traffic calming on some key streets.
- To review many updates and progress on speeding, please go to www.JaniceLukes.ca and use the search engine and enter the word SPEED
- I’ve worked with Winnipeg Police Service to raise the awareness of speeding issues, and have been successful in seeing a reduction if speeders due to good enforcement by the Winnipeg Police Service.
- Regrettably, speed will always be an issue on new streets, and this battle will continue.
- $100 million in funding has been secured for a new recreation center, to be located beside the new elementary and high school just south of Bridgwater Forest. Public consultations will start early November 2022.
- After many years, the developer (Manitoba Housing) met all City requirements and now, Bridgwater Forest park is under the ownership of the City of Winnipeg.
- Plans are in place for a new basketball court to be installed near the playstructure.
Bridgwater Forest Fountain
- The fountain was constructed without the proper base. Much work to repair has occurred over the years, but, the foundation is failing.
- To review many updates on the fountain over the years please go to www.JaniceLukes.ca and use the search engine and enter the words BRIDGWATER FOREST FOUNTAIN
- As a community, we will be meeting late fall / early winter to discuss the next steps.
Bridgwater Forest & Maintenance
- I requested the City Naturalist to conduct an in depth study of the forest – the forest is changing because of development, but is not dying – it is changing.
- To review many updates on the forest over the years please go to www.JaniceLukes.ca and use the search engine and enter the words HEALTH BRIDGWATER FOREST
- The City Naturalist will allow residents to plant trees in the forest, and I will be seeking a leader to help initiate a family day tree planting.
- The Neighbourhoods of Bridgwater have twice the greenspace of any other development in Winnipeg – which presents a challenge for city staff to maintain. I want to establish a ‘green team’ starting in 2023 to supplement city staff’s abilities, and will be working to seek community support. To review many updates on the maintenance in the Neighbourhoods of Bridgwater, please go to www.JaniceLukes.ca and use the search engine and enter the word MAINTENANCE