2018-2022 Councillor Term Summary – Bridgwater Lakes
This is a very very brief summary of key issues I’ve been working on specific to the Bridgwater Lakes neighbourhood, and initiatives that I look forward to working on. I am very thankful to have had the support of many many residents who’ve been also working to make our neighbourhoods safer, healthier and a great place to live and play! Thank you!
- Over the past four years, I’ve hosted multiple community events and produced videos on crime prevention, your role in crime prevention, what is happening in our neighbourhood and more.
- To review many updates on crime, please go to www.JaniceLukes.ca and use the search engine and enter the word CRIME
- The Waverley West ward is one of the safest areas of Winnipeg – but we still have crime. I will continue to host education events, and work with any groups of residents who want to develop a more detailed crime prevention plan for their neighbourhoods.
- A total of $18 million has been secured for a portable and permanent fire station in the Waverley West ward. Construction will start on the portable station on 2023.
- New roads, new drivers and the need for speed is an ongoing battle. I’ve had engineers conduct many traffic studies over the past four years, and we’ve implement traffic calming on some key streets.
- To review many updates and progress on speeding, please go to www.JaniceLukes.ca and use the search engine and enter the word SPEED
- I’ve worked with Winnipeg Police Service to raise the awareness of speeding issues, and have been successful in seeing a reduction if speeders due to good enforcement by the Winnipeg Police Service.
- Regrettably, speed will always be an issue on new streets, and this battle will continue.
- $100 million in funding has been secured for a new recreation center, to be located beside the new elementary and high school just south of Bridgwater Forest. Public consultations will start early November 2022.
- After many years, the developer (Manitoba Housing) met all City requirements and now, Bridgwater Lakes park is under the ownership of the City of Winnipeg.
- Plans are in place for a new cricket pitch to be installed, along with the mini and large soccer fields.
Bridgwater Lakes Fountain & Greenspace Maintenance
- I’m very pleased that the fountain is in top running order, the lights are all working and it is now the entire responsibility of the city – it is an outstanding feature in the neighbourhood. I’m looking to have some benches installed around the trees next spring.
- The Neighbourhoods of Bridgwater have twice the greenspace of any other development in Winnipeg – which presents a challenge for city staff to maintain.
- I want to establish a ‘green team’ starting in 2023 to supplement city staff’s abilities, and will be working to seek community support.
- To review many updates on the maintenance in the Neighbourhoods of Bridgwater, please go to www.JaniceLukes.ca and use the search engine and enter the word MAINTENANCE