New Fire Station in Waverley West – 2023-2024 Construction
The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service (WFPS) has developed a strategic direction based on three foundational reports to help ensure current and future service demands are met. For a summary of the 2020 Strategic Direction, view the 2020 Strategic Direction Detail.
- Fire Underwriters Survey provides data from surveys of fire protection programs throughout Canada and a comparative assessment of Winnipeg, and provides the City’s fire insurance rating for insurance premium discounts
- Community Risk Assessment Standards of Cover documents community risks, response resources, deployment strategies and service levels;
- WFPS Master Plan contains an analysis of present and future needs together with recommendations provided in the two documents noted above.
All reports can be viewed at: https://www.winnipeg.ca/fps/2020-strategic-direction/default.stm Reports propose to operate fewer fire stations (a reduction from 30 stations to 23) plus construct a new station in Waverley West
New Waverley West Fire Hall
Increased development, high service demand, and a lack of additional resources on the western edge of WFPS’s current service area are negatively affecting emergency response performance in the Waverley West area and beyond, exceeding the industry standard total response time.
- The 2020 DRAFT Capital Budget is forecasting $10,927 M for construction of a new Fire Hall in Waverley West beginning in 2023 and completed in 2024. Land is currently being secured, planning and design would begin, and construction would end in 2024.
See a high level overview of the new Waverley West Fire Hall
- PLEASE NOTE: The proposed location is NOT ACCURATELY depicted on the City’s website. The site identified in the report was sold for multifamily development, and for whatever reason, the WFPS and Corporate communications were not made aware of this sale.
- WFPS is looking at sites now in the Waverley West B area.
ALSO NOTE: the proposed new station would be subject to Council’s approval of the project and budget.