2018-2022 Councillor Term Summary – Prairie Pointe
This is a very very brief summary of key issues I’ve been working on specific to the Prairie Pointe neighbourhood, and initiatives that I look forward to working on. I am very thankful to have had the support of many many residents who’ve been also working to make our neighbourhoods safer, healthier and a great place to live and play! Thank you!
- Over the past four years, I’ve hosted multiple community events and produced videos on crime prevention, your role in crime prevention, what is happening in our neighbourhood and more.
- To review many updates on crime, please go to www.JaniceLukes.ca and use the search engine and enter the word CRIME
- The Waverley West ward is one of the safest areas of Winnipeg – but we still have crime. I will continue to host education events, and work with any groups of residents who want to develop a more detailed crime prevention plan for their neighbourhoods.
- A total of $18 million has been secured for a portable and permanent fire station in the Waverley West ward. Construction will start on the portable station on 2023.
- New roads, new drivers and the need for speed is an ongoing battle. I’ve had engineers conduct many traffic studies over the past four years, and we’ve implement traffic calming on some key streets.
- To review many updates and progress on speeding, please go to www.JaniceLukes.ca and use the search engine and enter the word SPEED
- I’ve worked with Winnipeg Police Service to raise the awareness of speeding issues, and have been successful in seeing a reduction if speeders due to good enforcement by the Winnipeg Police Service.
- Regrettably, speed will always be an issue on new streets, and this battle will continue.
- $100 million in funding has been secured for a new recreation center, to be located beside the new elementary and high school just south of Bridgwater Forest. Public consultations will start early November 2022.
- Eaglewood Park has now been handed over from the developer, and the City is responsible for maintenance.
- Through a great partnership with the South Winnipeg Community Centre, funding has been secured and plans are in place for a basketball court to be installed in 2023.
- This winter I will have a pleasure skating rink installed just south of the playstructure.
- The City will be installing a maintenance building on the south end of this site beside the townhouses. I am working to ensure public washrooms will be incorporated into this facility. I anticipate this building will be constructed in the next 3 years, pending budget approvals.
- Prairie Pointe is growing rapidly and many new homes and parks are being added to the west!
- I’m working with Ladco to ensure we have more play structures, a cricket field and more soccer fields installed.
- I am also working to find a location for a small off leash dog park. I’ve been working with landowners and various departments in the City to secure some space. This is a key goal of mine for the coming year/s.