South Pointe Community Gardens
A large piece of land has been made available to the community for use as a community garden by Qualico Developers. Qualico owns the land and is providing to the community for a nominal fee. This is not a ‘city run’ garden as there is no available city land in the Waverly West ward to install a community garden. As this is the first year, there will be a few humps and bumps to get the garden set up and hopefully – a group of ‘gardening leaders’ will eventually run it!
LIMITED GARDENING PLOTS AVAILABLE – BOOK NOW:
- If you are interested in booking a garden plot PLEASE EMAIL Arian at: AArianpour@winnipeg.ca
- Gardeners will be required to follow guidelines to keep their garden clean and weed free
GARDEN PLOT SIZES & COST:
- The plots are located at the end of Northridge Road– the soil is spectacular! There is lots of vehicle parking on Northridge, and there is transit located on John Angus Dr at the end of Northridge
- We believe each garden plot will be 18’ x 18’ give or take – final measurements are being determined. This size of larger garden will rent for $50 for the startup season. (maybe less but it won’t be higher)
- Smaller garden plots will be available and we estimate at 10’ x10’ in size. The smaller plots will rent for $30 for the startup season. (maybe less but it won’t be higher)
- Fresh water will be provided and INCLUDED in the plot rental cost. We have a large water tank being delivered to the site – each gardener will have a key to access water whenever they want.
- The garden plots will be marked and people can start planting on the May long weekend (May 22, 23 & 24).
- All garden plots will be marked out with stakes / string / and will be numbered.
- Gardening education sessions via ZOOM will be available to all gardeners in the coming weeks with a focus on vertical gardening and community gardening tips – education sessions are included in the garden plot fee.
- In the coming weeks, additional details on plot sizes, location, payment and other details will be sent to all gardeners who have booked a plot.
- If you have any questions PLEASE EMAIL Arian at: AArianpour@winnipeg.ca
THANK YOU TO the following organizations who are helping me set up this garden!
- Qualico Developers
- Bayview Construction
- Sri Lankan Association of Manitoba
- Canada Pakistan Trade and Cultural Association
- Brian the local farmer with a tractor
- South Pointe Residents Group
- Winnipeg Wellness Grant
- Manitoba Chinese Community Center