2018-2022 Councillor Term Summary – Waverley Heights
This is a very very brief summary of key issues I’ve been working on specific to the Waverley Heights neighbourhood, and initiatives that I look forward to working on. I am very thankful to have had the support of many many residents who’ve been also working to make our neighbourhoods safer, healthier and a great place to live and play! Thank you!
- Over the past four years, I’ve hosted multiple community events and produced videos on crime prevention, your role in crime prevention, what is happening in our neighbourhood and more.
- To review many updates on crime, please go to www.JaniceLukes.ca and use the search engine and enter the word CRIME
- We are seeing a slight increase in crime in the Waverley Heights neighbourhood and I encourage any residents who want to come forward to set up a neighbourhood watch – to contact me.
- The Waverley West ward is one of the safest areas of Winnipeg – but we still have crime. I will continue to host education events, and work with any groups of residents who want to develop a more detailed crime prevention plan for their neighbourhoods.
- New roads, new drivers and the need for speed is an ongoing battle. I’ve had engineers conduct many traffic studies over the past four years, and we’ve implement traffic calming on some key streets.
- Bison and Waverley are key speeding areas – along with sections of Chancellor Drive. Winnipeg Police Service traffic division have been very responsive when requests are made, but, it’s a never ending battle.
- To review many updates and progress on speeding, please go to www.JaniceLukes.ca and use the search engine and enter the word SPEED
- $100 million in funding has been secured for a new recreation center, to be located beside the new elementary and high school just south of Bridgwater Forest. Public consultations will start early November 2022.
- Over $100,000 has been secured for upgrades to the South Winnipeg Community Centre – Waverley site. A new kitchen, lighting and a paint job are in the works. A new cricket pitch has also been installed.
- The bridge has received upgrades and a new pathway leading to Bonnycastle School is being completed. Benches, picnic tables and more pathway upgrades are planned for Blue Lake Park in 2023.
- Trees have been planted at Albrin Park, with more plantings being planned for 2023
- Many roads in Waverley Heights neighbourhood are in dire need of reconstruction or rehabilitation. Many have had work done, and more are on the lists for the upcoming years.
- I’ve pulled an overview of the status of roads in Waverley Heights. Roads are a top focus that the City and I will continue to work on improving.
- Chancellor Road and sidewalks will be one of the key roads being upgraded over the next couple of years, in addition to residential roads
- To review the roads that have been repaired over the last few years, please go to www.JaniceLukes.ca and use the search engine and enter the word ROAD CONSTRUCTION